January 3, 2008

Days of Anguish, Days of Hope - Quotes

I recently finished reading Days of Anguish, Days of Hope by Billy Keith. The book is about the life and ministry of Chaplain Robert Preston Taylor. Chaplain Taylor, fellow Chaplains and brothers in arms were POW's during World War II. Wow, what a wonderful book, especially for those ministering in the military. I just wanted to share a few quotes from the book that stood out to me. Enjoy!

"Men, I want to pray and thank God for the confidence he has placed in us by letting us be in this place at this time." "Lord, we cannot see tomorrow, but you hold all our tomorrows in your hand. We dare not question why you've led us here; only help us give a good account of all we've learned of you. And if...and if you should ask us to pay the supreme sacrifice, as you were once called upon to do, let it be with confidence that you will meet us at the river and lead us across the troubled waters. We claim this same support for all our men here, some even now at the point of departure, In Jesus' name, amen."

"That faith prepares a man not only to live but also to die."

"Men, I've learned never to doubt in the darkness what I believed in the light."

"When a person believes in something in his head, it greatly influences what he does and the way he reacts to given situations, including death. But when a person commits himself to that way, above every other way, it changes him and the way he acts."

"We don't know what tomorrow holds, but we know the one who holds tomorrow."

"I've been wrong about you Christians. You really are different. You haven't preached to me, only tried to love me, and I've decided to follow your advice and receive Christ into my heart."

"Love is of people, by people and for people, Taylor reminded himself. Things are to be used; people are to be loved. It is immoral when people are used and things are loved."

Great book of hope and inspiration.

No comments: