January 12, 2008

Reality Check

Well, I have a lot of work to do. I went running with a career Army man this week. (In my defense, I had not run in about a month or more and had the wild hair to go for a run with him.) It all started off fine until I reached 500 yards, LOL! Fortunately a hunting dog was in the middle of the that field we were running around and we stopped and walked home to his owners. After our delivery, we were "running" again. I finally limped to our turn around point. Oh my, I still had two more miles to go. When I was running on a regular basis, I would only run two miles. Things are not looking too good for the Chaplain. What was I thinking when I said I wanted to go running with him on a four mile course?

Well, needless to say, it was the slowest run the soldier had ever had. Most of the way back he was pulling me. Man, do I have a lot of work to do! However, he gave me a good piece of advice that I will remember:

"If you let your body tell your mind what to do, you will not make it. If your mind tells your body what to do, your body will follow." Okay!

I must say that it does work. The next day, I went for a run that was about 2.5 miles long, and I was hurting, especially after the run from the day before. My body kept crying for rest, but I had made up my mind, and I was going to "run" the whole way. I did it! I may not have been moving fast, but I was not walking.

It feels really good to do something when your body says you can't, but your mind says you can. Well, I am off for a run. I have to get in better shape before basic.

No comments: